Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Can We Make Up Something Else?

I was shocked to see how pretty Snooki actually is.
When I think about what I’ve told my kids about cosmetics over the years, I feel I’ve sent some pretty mixed messages.

On the one hand, I know women and girls, as young as 13, who will not go out in public without wearing make-up.

That’s sick.

I think there are disturbing similarities between a society in which women feel they have to cover their faces in make-up – and uncover their bodies – and ones in which women feel they have to hide their faces and bodies.

On the other hand, when my son has a whopping zit on his face, I feel sorry that he feels he can’t wear a bit of concealer, that he’ll get teased for it.

On the third hand, many of the girls at their school don’t know how to use make-up. Are they applying it with a trowel? They end up, like Snooki, looking worse for their trouble.
 
So, I showed my daughter how to use make-up. (Rule #1: Less is more.)

Here’s what I’ve hit upon: The saying around our house is that the only thing other people have a right to expect from you, appearance-wise, is that you’ve showered and your clothes are clean. Whatever you do after that, should be because you want to.
 
But, then again, there are caveats. Certain events, like a wedding, have dress codes, so yes, son, there are times when you have to wear a tie. And some studies, like this one, have shown that the more heavily made up a woman is, the more competent people think she is. So, if you’re female in a situation where you need to look polished, like a job interview, some make-up may be in order.

I just don’t want my kids to hate their own faces. That’s too sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment