Friday, June 17, 2016

Farty, An Adjective

What does “farty” mean to you?

Because I searched “farty define” and the correct definition is not on the internet!

All the definitions on Urban Dictionary are wrong.

Free Dictionary thinks when you call a person a fart, you are saying they are contemptible, annoying or irritating. No.

It is hard to put into words what “farty” means. But it isn’t a generic insult. It’s not even necessarily an insult. “Farty” is related to “old fart,” arty farty” and “farting around.” It’s when someone moves slowly and deliberately doing something they don’t have to do at all.

I saw a post by someone who kept track of the books in their Little Free Library. Little Free Libraries are cool but you do not have to keep records of them.  Nevertheless, this person wrote, “I tracked in the very beginning, but then became overwhelmed by the amount of time that I was spending and stressing over it.” He or she bought software to do it.

Farty.

The other day, my husband watched, fascinated, this man – the poster child of fartiness –  use an old-fashioned scythe rather than a lawn mower to cut his grass. (I suspect he made the video because people in his real life had heard quite enough about scything.)

Farty.

And incidentally, yes, I’m being farty right now.

However, I leave you with a few fun facts I learned:  The word “fart” is ancient; people have always had a word for it. In fact, we used to have two words, “farting” for farts that make noise and “fisting,” for silent farts. “Fisting” even had some onomatopoeia going on. So much better than the ungainly “silent but deadly.” Unfortunately, the word now brings to mind the thing you make of your hand or the sex act. Oh, well.

2 comments:

  1. "arty farty" Actually, its "artsy fartsy". There is a difference. There's a certain sophistication in sound with the "s" added.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are also "walking farts," another added bonus of aging. You know, the ones that accidentally slip out when you're walking around, usually in a public place? I used to chuckle to myself when I encountered them happening to someone else. Not anymore. Since my hearing went south due to tinnitus and double middle ear infections a year ago that left me deaf for a month, I fear I won't hear them if they happen to me. My dad used to stop, turn around and say "Here kitty, kitty." I'll have to try that.

    ReplyDelete