Tuesday, May 21, 2013

An Asian Version of Cabbage & Noodles

Since I am heartily sick of all my ideas for dinner, I asked my kids if they had any thoughts. They didn't, so I told them to Google around and see if they couldn't find some new recipes for us to try. My son Googled "meat pie." Good luck with that one, kid. I'll need some persuasion to tackle that.

My daughter found one, though, that turned out to be an Asian version of the cabbage & noodle recipe my Hungarian grandmother used to make (which I posted here). Instead of regular onions, this one uses green onions. Instead of egg noodles, it calls for angel hair. Instead of butter, there's oil (I used peanut) and sesame oil. Instead of salt, soy sauce.

Apparently, great minds, around the world, think alike.

This recipe was posted by papergoddess on www.food.com:

Shanghai Noodles

3 tablespoons oil
1-2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 cups shredded cabbage (can be Chinese cabbage)
1/2 cup chopped green onions
8 ounces angel hair pasta
2-4 tablespoons soy sauce, to taste

Optional ingredients: 4 ounces sliced cooked chicken and/or one can bean sprouts, drained.

Cook pasta.

Heat oil and sesame oil in skillet. (We used a wok, to feel official.)

Saute cabbage and green onions for about five minutes.

Drain pasta. Add it and the soy sauce to cabbage mixture and heat through.

No comments:

Post a Comment