Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Highway to Hell

Highways freak me out.

I also have no spatial sense.

I am possibly the worst person in the world to write this article, about a major highway construction project in Houston. But I did and I obsessively triple-checked my facts, so I think it turned out OK. :)

The magazine, quite rightly, wanted more than just the standard "Here's the basic facts about the construction," surrounded by lame jokes about how much everyone's commute is going to suck during it.

Their commutes are going to suck during it, don't get me wrong.

But there is a lot more to the subject than that. And I enjoyed the people I talked to: the man who wrote the book on the history of Houston highways, which is actually pretty interesting, the 94-year-old former mayor of the city/neighborhood most directly impacted who can remember when the Houston freeways first went in, the engineers who work on these unbelievably complex plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment